March 4, 2014

Classroom Zoo # 1 - A Male Kindergarten Teacher?

This is usually one of the first responses I get when others find out what I do for a living. Heck, it was one of the first things I googled when I knew I was moving to kindergarten. I didn't really know what to expect. Could I do it? Should I do it?  How will parents react to this less-than-traditional setting? While most responses have been positive, it is always "fun" to have my ability to teach questioned simply because my gender. Apparently, because I lack the maternal instincts of a female, I am inherently putting the students in my classroom at a disadvantage. And despite not having the maternal instincts some feel all kindergarten teachers need to have, I feel strongly I do possess certain traits that children need: firmness, flexibility, energy, and a willingness to show my imperfections and have fun with my shortcomings. Plus, my clumsy self has yet to step or fall on any of my little friends, at least not yet. I love being able to work with the children, help them grow academically, and see them thrive socially. I encourage anyone to come to my classroom and see for themselves, my door is never closed.

No comments: