November 4, 2016

Back on the Saddle - Silly Story #1

It has been a crazy 2016. A good crazy but crazy nonetheless. Blogging here hasn't really been a priority. In fact, any time for any type of writing has been harder and harder to come by. To get the creative juices and motivate myself to try and get some more time for writing into my life, I decided to combine writing with my classroom and came up with what my class and I call Silly Stories.  Essentially, to review story elements, I ask the class to provide characters, a setting, a problem, and a solution and I scramble to write a silly story with the information they provided. The stories may not be award winners but they certainly get the creative juices flowing and I absolutely love watching my kids react to the story they helped create.  

Below is our first story.  I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it.

Elroy And Elsa

Elroy the Elephant was walking to the candyland village to pick up the Gary the gingerbread man. They had a slumber party planned at Ricky’s house.

When Elroy and Gary got to Ricky’s they played games, made popcorn, and watched a movie.  After the movie was finished, they decided they wanted to go on an adventure.

Ricky’s little sister, Elsa, asked, “Can I come along?”

“No way! You’re just a little girl,” the boys replied. Elsa walked away slowly.

“Let’s all go the volcano!” Elroy, Gary, and Ricky sprinted towards the volcano. They ran up the side of the mountain and when they tried to stop, they ended up smashing into each other and Elroy fell right in. He was a huge elephant so he got stuck in the crater and couldn’t get out.

“Help! Help! Help!” Elroy screamed.  Ricky and Gary tried to pull with all their might but Elroy wouldn’t budge. 

Suddenly the volcano started shaking and quaking.

“Oh no,” the boys said. “It’s going to erupt!  We need to get Elroy out! NOW!”

They pulled again with all the strength they had. Still stuck.

Just when they were about to give up, they felt a chill behind them. They looked and saw Elsa, snow and ice forming around her.

“What are you doing here?” yelled Ricky.

“Even though you said I couldn’t come, I did anyways. I wanted to play with you. And now, I might even be able to help”

“How?” asked Gary.

“Stand back!”

Elsa lifted her hands and with a flick of her wrist, turned the volcano and all of the lava into an icy glacier.

Elroy was able to slip right out, though he was a bit chilly.

“Th th th th th thanks! Elsa!” he said.

“You’re welcome!” she said.


And from then on, Elsa was always allowed to play with the boys whenever she wanted.

No comments: