August 20, 2014

Discovering Dargatz #61 - The Ad That Changed My Life

I spent one summer being an assistant coach on a little league team of elementary-aged boys, some of which I had as students.  While I enjoyed the aspect of coaching, the politics and aura of that situation didn't feel right, so I pursued other opportunities. Looking through the local newspaper, a ritual on trips to the in-laws, I came across an ad requesting a softball coach for Special Olympics. I mulled it over and decided to respond.  After meeting with the agency director and chatting at Brown Deer High School while observing some athletes at a soccer practice, I decided to give coaching a shot.  This was definitely one of the best decisions I've ever made. I am happy to be more than just a softball coach now. I also now am blessed to work with athletes in snowshoeing and basketball.  More importantly, the relationships that have been made and the lessons I have learned and continue to learn have made me a better person. While this volunteering does consume multiple nights and weekends, the love and joy that is given back is so much more valuable. I look forward to continuing my affiliation with Special Olympics for years to come.

No comments: