August 10, 2014

Classroom Zoo #14 - A Teacher Wears Many, Many Hats

Teachers wear many hats, figuratively and literally. We can be educators, therapist, referees, architects, nurses, chefs, and custodians. We don't take these responsibilities for granted. It's just part of our job. As a kindergarten teacher, these tasks are second nature to me. When I'm not conducting guided reading groups, leading writing, working with numbers, or focusing on science experiments and social skills, I'm dispensing bandages, delivering mail, handing out snacks, cleaning up paint and other things (some unmentionables), and caring for kids. One of my favorite parts of the job is when a student calls me mom or dad. The hats a teacher wears are innumerable. However, those hats are also literal. In Writing Workshop, I wear a construction hat and tool belt. So too does the student known as the story builder of the day, who leads the sharing. In Math, I occasionally don a chef's hat and apron as we are cooking up numbers. When we are searching for words, letters, or facts, Detective Dargatz makes appearances with trench coat and spyglass. My favorite artist (mustache and all) joins the class for special art projects and in our imagination station. Like I said, teachers wears many hats. . .and we wouldn't have it any other way.

P.S. - Did I mention all the different voices too?  And don't get me started on the songs and dances!
Detective Dargatz during my first year as a 4th grade teacher.  My "hats" have evolved greatly since then.

No comments: