January 3, 2015

Dadventures #7 - The First hold

​Common cliches talk about certain moments that are unforgettable and life-changing. I usually scoff at such notions but when it comes to witnessing the birth of your child, truer words have never been spoken. However,  more amazing to me was when I was first able to hold my child. Because there were some minor complications that forced her to be monitored and held in a separate room apart from her anxious and overwhelmed parents, the wait for that moment was longer then expected, but the wait made that moment even more special. As mom rested, I was whisked away to the intensive care area where my precious daughter was resting comfortably. I don't think the nurse could even finishing asking me if I wanted to hold her before I had already begun the process of taking her into my arms and falling in love all over again. She was so tiny, so fragile. I could hardly believe that someone like me could have any part in creating something so perfect. I remember sitting there silently in near tears, feeling so blessed. There we stayed for only a few minutes, though I remember it vividly. It was unforgettable. It was life-changing. 

No comments: