January 11, 2015

A Reader's Review

The early stages have led to a resurgence in my commitment to reading more and my consumption of high-quality non-fiction continues with my second book of the year: Ringside - The History of Professional Wresting in America, by Scott M. Beekman.

Now those of you who find wrestling to be fake, scripted, and just plain sophomoric, you're right, to an extent. In my opinion, as very small extent. While outcomes are pre-determined and characters can be outlandish and ridiculous at times, the athleticism, commitment, and storytelling these entertainers aim to showcase is something that brings me back each and every week. 

I've been immersed in the wrestling world since childhood, but until I read this book, I didn't quite know about (or pay attention to) the origins of professional wrestling, how it survived through some tumultuous periods of time in this country, and how it has evolved into the sports entertainment juggernaut it is now.

It was eye-opening to read about how wrestling once rivaled baseball as America's top sport, how wrestling redefined itself when social events like World Wars and the Great Depression forced its hand, and how wrestling moved from smaller companies through out different geographical territories into national powerhouses jostling for the attention of an ever-increasing world of entertainment options.

This book engulfed my attention because I love wrestling and history.  Maybe it will engulf yours as well.  There's only one way to find out.


No comments: