September 8, 2014

Discovering Dargatz #70- Canker Sore Callout

In grade school, I rarely got in trouble.  I was no angel, but paying attention and performing well to earn the respect of my teachers was something I took seriously. So, on the rare occasion that I was caught, I felt incredible guilt. Mr. Berg was a serious teacher who taught science, history and religion. He touted his degree from the University of Michigan, reported how many times he read The Bible, and showed us many, many videos. We watched Roots and The Last of the Mohicans (minus the sex scene) multiple times in 7th and 8th grade. I remember lessons on saturation bombing, watching film reels of WWII footage, and his cackle when we saw footage  of baby seals getting clubbed and his sarcasm aimed at students. Most of all, I remember his quick temper and his no-nonsense mentality. When I was caught making faces with a friend, I knew telling him the reason for the face was an attempt to soothe a canker sore would not suffice.  Instead, I waited until the end of the day, walked to his room, and apologized for my behavior and the disruption it caused. I needed to stay on his good side.

No comments: