October 26, 2014

It's the Little Things

I just returned home from a very busy and exhausting weekend at a writing conference. Busy and exhausting in a very good way!  I meat some incredible writers, illustrators, and editors, and received a boost of energy and enthusiasm about my goals and future as a writer. I was reminded of the battle of risks vs. rewards. and that it all starts with one little step. With that in mind, memories of a previous entry occupied my brain and gave me hope and inspiration. Now it is up to me to take the risk!


In life, we often are caught up in situations that provide stresses and anxieties instead of comfort and relief. We often get so worried about the future and haunted by the past that we forget to enjoy the present. All too often, our minds are focused on the big picture. . .the overall goal. . . .the end game.  This takes us away from the little things. The things that make the world go round.  the things that really matter.

 Over the last few days, I have been able to witness many "little things" and they have made a huge difference.

 Three "little" words.  After a year of battling the structure needed for a classroom, one little friend dropped his guard and uttered, "I need help."  Those "little words"  showed tremendous growth.

 Two "little" "Charlie Brown" trees.  On a nature walk in a preserve adjacent to our block, my family noticed a few tiny, nearly barren evergreens, reminiscent of the tree made famous in the Peanuts Christmas special.  One tiny tree.  Many fantastic memories.

 One "little" hummingbird.  On that same walk, stopping in silence to admire a minuscule bird most would completely neglect to see. Observing a beautiful creature in its habitat is wonderful medicine.

 One "little" worm for many, little babies. We were able to see a mother robin capture and gobble up an earthworm right in our own driveway. A delightful treat for growing fledglings and a reminder of the majesty of life.

 Many "little" giggles. Spending an evening cracking up at the things my daughter does.  From her attempts at conversation to her excitement and blissful expression with every new discovery, each "little" giggle makes a gigantic love grow even larger.

 Four or five "little" steps, with many more to come.  My daughter is learning to walk.  As my wife and I watched, she took her first steps. Though it was only a handful of steps before she plopped down clumsily, got back up again, and repeated for what seemed like hours, the happiness that exuded from her face as she realized her accomplishment was immeasurable.

 What started as a few steps is just the beginning of a life's journey.  I hope that I can help her on her journey by focusing on the "little" things and letting life be something I love and enjoy, one "little" step at a  time.


No comments: