October 8, 2014

Dadventures #4 -The Race

Speed has long been gone in my life. The agility and quickness I harnessed as a youth have slowly deteriorated as I have aged. My sausage race victories were few and far between, though with at least one victory as each wiener, I did accomplish the racing sausage quintuple crown. I am not a fan of NASCAR, Indy, or any other racing. Speed in general ranks low on my list of priorities. However, one race will always have a piece of my heart. The race to the baby! When I happily announced my impending fatherhood to my fellow teachers, a fellow teacher had the same message to share. Interestingly enough, our future offspring even shared the same due date. From that point on, the race was on. Though my wife hates this, I did read that as a male, I was "psychologically pregnant." That being said, my fellow parent-to be and I exchanged milestones throughout the entire process and jokingly chided each other as we both raced all the way to the finish line. In the end, I lost the race by a few hours, but my daughter has a beautiful birthday buddy. In the end, we were both winners.

No comments: