October 13, 2014

DV #5 - Go Time

When we found out our due date was the last day of spring break, we were hoping the baby would come early. It would have been nice to be able to enjoy that first week at home as a family without using up personal days from work. However, the schedule of an incoming baby doesn't always jive with the wishes of the parents Spring break came and went without any signs of a baby. Since the due date had technically passed, I returned to the classroom and my wife checked in with her doctor. By lunchtime on my first day back, I got the call that we would be heading to the hospital that afternoon for induction. My first day back was really like a half-day, but for me and my emotional roller coaster, it felt like a half-minute. Anxiety. Excitement. Patience. Queasiness. I felt it all as I headed home ignoring posted speed limits. Once home, my wife and I gathered supplies and headed to my home away from home for the next few days. It didn't take long. Within hours after induction, my wife and I were parents to a beautiful girl. It was well worth the wait.

No comments: