October 14, 2014

Discovering Dargatz #85 - The Hard Truth about Softball

When my competitive baseball career was over, I still had the edge to play organized sports. With recreational softball leagues anywhere and everywhere, this was a natural outlet for my competitive juices. It began with Wednesday night league in Thiensville.  It morphed into Mondays at the Coach House Grille in Big Bend. Sunday night co-ed leagues in Bay View ventured onto the schedule soon thereafter.  Through her work, my wife joined a team that played in the county parks. Our softball extravaganza culminated with my wife and I coaching softball for Special Olympics. At one point, four nights a week were tied up with some sort of softball.  While we love the game, we felt a bit overloaded and were happy to reduce our softball obligations. We had a good run though.  Our co-ed league was a staple in the championship game.  My men's league had it's moments in summer, though fall ball is where we tended to put it all together. Jill's team was low on talent, but high on enthusiasm. Our Special Olympic team even won the gold medal at the state games in the summer of 2012. Softball will always be a part of who we are.
Gold Medal Champion North Suburban Special Olympic Sluggers

No comments: