July 20, 2015

Discovering Dargatz #143 - Prepared

Imagine Y2K, a zombie apocalypse, and a flurry of natural disasters combined. Sounds like no one would be able to survive, right? Well, you'd be wrong. You've obviously never the privilege of experiencing my childhood basement. Literally can after can of carbonated beverage. A freezer stuffed to the brim with pizzas, pancakes, mozzarella sticks, and any other processed item available and imaginable. But that was just the tip of the iceberg. Need toiletries? Don't worry, we've got toilet paper rolls to spare.  Actually, dozens or so to spare. Please don't even get me started on paper towels, tissues, cotton balls, toothbrushes, toothpaste, crackers, mouthwash bottles, dish detergents, sponges, dryer sheets, disposable razors, assorted condiments, peanut butters, paper plates, napkins, soup cans, deodorant sticks, air freshener aerosols, and cookies. To me, this was normal. Heck, I didn't mind having a seemingly unending supply of soda, junk food, and random supplies always available. I know my friends didn't either. Today, the bunker of goods has diminished greatly, but still has elements of apocalyptic planning. In fact, I regularly joke with my father about his supply stash. But that chiding doesn't stop me from shopping at the Dargatz Store any chance I get.

No comments: