July 22, 2015

Classroom Zoo #27 - Many Names

I get called a lot of names in my classroom. At the beginning of the year, "Teacher" is the norm. As students figure out my name, "Mr. Dargatz" or close variations take over the year. Occasionally, a "Mr. D" slips in. I even allow for "Mr. Donut" if a student is gracious enough to bring in a delicious donut treat. However, as the year progresses, there are a few names I get called that warm my heart, even if they embarrass my students to no end. Whether asking for help with a math problem, searching for a book, or getting their shoes tied or jacket zipped, it is wonderful to be called "dad."  Heck, "mom" actually slips out more than often. I know it is just a slip of the tongue, but I also feel it connects to the comfort and safety they feel in the classroom, surrounded by people who genuinely care for them. Most students correct themselves immediately, looking around to make sure no one else heard. What's even better is when they do it and don't even realize it. It is one of those perks in the classroom, at least until I get called "Grandpa" or "Grandma."

No comments: