August 5, 2015

Dadventures #22 - Trail Baby

One advantage of very young children is that they can't yet talk back or run away. Though proper planning is essential, you can take babies along on your adventures. We started hiking with Embry at a very young age. Though she slept most of the time. when she was aware of her surroundings, the view from the carrier was certainly engaging. Then, she got bigger. In both size and attiude. Did I mention she also become mobile? I was (selfishly) concerned that this mobility and attitude would dip into my hiking time. And yes, while hiking is different than it used to be, it's a good different. Though our pace is slow, her hiking stamina is phenomenal. As I work to becoming a 1,000 miler, or a person who hikes the entire Ice Age Trail, I joke that I kind of already am. I've just hiked the same mile 1,000 different times. It's OK though because Embry has her favorite spots, pointing out every root, rock and bird along the way. I even can handle the crying that comes when we get back to the car or turn around on the trail.  "More hiking!"  she demands. My kind of kid. 

No comments: