February 9, 2015

Classroom Zoo #23 - It Ain't What It Used to Be

"That must be so much fun!" is what I often hear when I let people know I am a kindergarten teacher. And yes, while it is a blast, it is a job. Kindergarten is definitely not what it used to be. Rest time. . . not so much. Play time. . .as much as we can. Curricular responsibilities. . .of course. Assessments. . .well, I'll leave my comments to myself. My classroom has an open door policy and I encourage anyone to come in anytime to see what we are doing and lend a helping hand. While people have taken advantage of this when they have the opportunity, I have had parents and family members (on more than one occasion I might add) tell me what can’t come back. After my initial disappointment and confusion, they provide their reasoning. This is not the kindergarten I know. This is not the kindergarten I remember. I can only agree, but as they say, times. . .they  are a changing. Everyone involved with the educational process has higher and sometimes overwhelming expectations. This includes students, families, administrators, and teachers. So yes, while kindergarten is fun, it certainly isn’t what it used to be.


No comments: